20 August 2014

did you know?



It's often late at night when I'm in the kitchen making a hot milk and honey drink, and, a good sprinkling of cinnamon on top.  I really love that night-cap in the midst of cold winter nights.

And while I'm doing that, the radio is switched on, and I listened recently with interest to a talk-back caller saying to the host, "guess what I'm knitting?".   Bootees?  Socks??  A long pause, so tell us??

The answer was, jumpers for penguins!

For penguins caught up in oil-spills; after they have been cleaned, they get their very own jumper.  It doesn't have to be khaki, or even black and white ------- it can be ANY colour.  Just imagine seeing these little penguins waddling around in their brightly coloured knitteds.  That makes me smile.

You can see one, and read all about this project here  from the Penguin Foundation, at Phillip Island in Victoria.  Good news is, they currently have enough to fill the wardrobes of all penguins anticipated to need a jumper for a while.

Quaint story isn't it?

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Yes, it is a nice story.. I am glad that the penguins are being well cared for.. Have a great day!

Roy Norris said...

That is quite amazing Carole and a good thing to do.
I read a book a while ago written by a woman who went to help look after rescued penguins in South Africa which had been covered in oil on the surface of the sea. Its a very difficult task to look after them all.

TexWisGirl said...

awww. too cute. sad that it's needed in the first place, but...

Laure Ferlita said...

That's humanity at its best! I love seeing stories where people use their talents to help those less fortunate or victims of man's stupidity.

I also love your night cap drink—sounds fabulous!

Lisa Gordon said...

I LOVE it!!!

Gail Dixon said...

I love hearing about things like this!

Phil Slade said...

Carole, I had to check the date wasn't 1st April. Then I checked out the link and saw the little woolly jumpers. A great story.

Re my lens. It's a Canon 400mm f5.6 used with a Canon 500D or 550D. Thanks for your kind comments.

Montanagirl said...

HI Carole - that is just too cool!

Camila Rafaela Felippi said...

It's amazing when people want to help animals! Men sometimes are the worse thing in the world!

diane b said...

They look cute in their jumpers. An interesting story.

Helma said...

Lol ... I had to laugh a little when I saw the penguin with a red jumper in the picture:-) Milk with honey, I think it very tasty, especially when it is cold.

Wally Jones said...

What a neat bit of good news! Thank you, Carole!

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

A crazy idea but a good help for the penguins.
Best regards, Synnöve

Irma said...

Hi Carole,
Nice to see the penguins with a jacket.
That red is really beautiful.
Best regards, Irma

A Colorful World said...

How sweet! Glad you shared this....it made my day! :-)

Did I ever thank you for coming by my quilting blog and commenting. Glad you did!

Deanna said...

What a sweet story, isn't it wonderful that there are so many caring people in this world!!